Friday, January 8, 2010

Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story


Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
Directed by : Thomas Carter
Cast: Cuba Gooding Jr., Kimberly Elise, and Aunganue Ellis...


Gifted Hands was a surprisingly great movie. I accidentally came across it one night at Blockbuster and I had never heard anything about it, so I didn't know if I was going to be wasting a hour or so of my time.
The movie is based on a true story about Ben Carson. As a boy he had it rough, but through perseverance, his faith and the faith of his mother, he became a world renowned Pediatric Neurologist. His story is amazing and gave me a feeling of strength as a mother. I know as a mother it gets tiring for us to keep on our kids...but Ben Carson's story gave me conformation that what I was doing, pushing my children, is what I am supposed to be doing. The dedication he had to self-educate is beyond measures. His ability to see not just what the physical eyes can see is truly inspiring. The support from his wife was also a key in his success.

This movie wasn't over sexual...actually not sexual at all. It didn't show any butts or boobs, so its ok for the whole family.

As a black movie, produced and actors, I found that this movie is overshadowed and overlooked. Of course because it is a positive black movie, not just about cook-outs and church, it didn't get the recognition as it should. I give Cuba credit for being apart of such a positive film.

No comments:

Post a Comment